Here in the south the seasons are on a different time table. It’s just now starting to get cold where as in the rest of the United States for the most part it’s been winter for awhile. With the colder weather finally upon us it’s time to start thinking about preparing our homes for winter. In order to help you determine what you should do to prepare for winter we found this article. We hope it helps!
Do you want to build your “dream home” but don’t know where to start? House Plan Gallery can help! Our large house plans are consistently rated as being some of the best in the industry, for a reason 🙂 Call us today at 601-264-5028 to speak with our expert home design consultants!
From the article:
With so much to be done to get a home ready for cold weather, here are some home maintenance tips from NAHB Remodelers that don’t require going outdoors.
– Check for gaps in insulation or crawl spaces that expose pipes to cold air and the risk of freezing and bursting.
– Have your heating system checked by a licensed technician before cold weather requires daily use.
– Block drafts around doors, windows and baseboards with weather stripping, window film and caulk to control heat loss.
– Install storm doors and windows to improve energy-efficiency and keep drafts at bay.
– Get chimneys cleaned by an experienced chimney sweep to prevent the risk of a fire from buildup or blockages.
– Spray door locks with powdered-graphite lubricant to prevent freezing and sticking.
– Set ceiling fans to rotate clockwise to force rising warm air back towards the floor.
Looking for more information on getting your home ready for winter? Checkout this article about preparing home for winter that could be of interest to you.