Know What Gaps Are Most Common in Home Insurance? Find Out Here!

Free Dream Home Success Kit from!

As a homeowner it’s important to do everything that we can to protect ourselves and our home. One thing that we do for protection is have homeowner’s insurance. But what if the worst happens and you find out that your insurance won’t pay? What then? In order to help you avoid that situation we found this article with the most common gaps in homeowner’s insurance. We hope it helps!

Do you want to build your “dream home” but don’t know where to start? House Plan Gallery can help! Our home plans with photos are consistently rated as being some of the best in the industry, for a reason 🙂 Call us today at 601-264-5028 to speak with our expert home design consultants!

From the article:

Make sure your policy provides enough coverage to protect your home and belongings.

You may already know that homeowners insurance doesn’t cover flood damage or sewage backup (see Insurance Coverage for Summer Storm Damage). But what about things your policy covers, but might not cover sufficiently?

Replacing your home. In the event of a disaster that leads to a total loss, your policy pays up to the dwelling limit. If that’s less than the cost to rebuild your home, you have to make up the difference. Your insurer estimates the cost to rebuild, but to make sure its estimate is accurate, use an online calculator, available at sites such as ($7) and ($8). To get full replacement coverage for partial losses, most insurers require you to have a policy with a dwelling limit of 80% or more of the insurer-estimated cost to rebuild, notes Bill Wilson, associate vice-president of the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America.

Your policy should include an inflation guard clause keyed to regional costs that adjusts your coverage every year. Also, make sure your policy has extended replacement cost — ideally, for 20% to 25% above the dwelling limit; you can add it as an endorsement for about $50. If you have to rebuild your home to bring it up to current code, you’ll need ordinance and law coverage. You should be able to bump up your coverage to 25% of the dwelling limit for about $50 a year.

Looking for ways to cut your electric bill? Then checkout this article about cut electric bill that could be of interest to you.

Read the entire article here:

Know What Gaps Are Most Common in Home Insurance? Find Out Here!
Rate this post

Tags: , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply